Cisco is introducing a new line of ASAs to replace the existing SMB ASA 5505 line of firewalls. Since Cisco’s acquisition of SourceFire, Cisco has rapidly been integrating the technology into their Firewalls and in doing so has created the most advanced perimeter network appliance on the market. The vast breath of technology that is now incorporated into a single ASA Firewall allows business to gain all of the next generation security appliances capabilities under a single platform in their network. Up to now Cisco hasn’t brought this advanced security technology down to the 5505 ASAs until now. With the introduction of the new ASA 5506 it brings new capabilities and allows companies to leverage the same capabilities across all of Cisco’s firewalls. Below I have highlighted some of the new features that the ASA 5506/5506W (wireless version) and the 5508 ASA firewalls include.
Key Enhancements Over ASA 5505:
- NGFW(NextGen Firewall) – FirePOWER Services
- threat-focused NGFW; provides ASA firewall functionality, advanced threat protection, and advanced breach detection and remediation combined in a single device
- Application Visibility & Control
- Identify applications and create rules based on applications and users.
- AMP (Advanced Malware Protection)
- Detection, blocking, tracking, analysis, and remediation to protect the enterprise against targeted and persistent malware attacks
- NGIPS (Next-Gen IPS)
- Superior threat prevention and mitigation for both known and unknown threats
- URL Filtering Subscriptions.
- Application-layer control (over applications, geolocations, users, websites) and ability to enforce usage and tailor detection policies based on custom applications and URLs
- Simplified Purchase Experience: Unlimited User (node) support
- VPN: Enhanced Mobility Support
- Throughput: Over 2.5x stateful Performance
- Intergraded Wireless Access Point
- AP is similar to AP702i 2×2 MIMO
- Autonomous and CAPWAP mode operation support
- Separate Management for Wireless, HTTP to AP GUI
- Ruggedized Option